Taxonomy Management Tools - Synaptica
Factiva Synaptica® Vocabulary and Metadata Management System is the tool used to build the WAND Taxonomies and is easily integrated with any WAND vocabularies.
Synaptica is the result of nearly a decade of continuous research and development driven by power-users in the information community. An unparalleled set of features has evolved to meet the uncompromising demands of taxonomy and authority file experts:
- Manage glossaries, dictionaries, lexicons, taxonomies, thesauri, ontologies and name authority files
- Supports ANSI/NISO Z39.19; ISO 2788 & ISO 5964
- Simple search or power search modes
- Standard hierarchical, associative and equivalency relationships
- Customizable semantic relationship types and behavior rules
- Meta vocabulary clusters and crosswalk mapping
- Multiple categories for a single term
- Expandable hierarchies and relationships
- Approval & candidate term statuses
- Customizable data entry templates and rules
- Dynamically enforced rules-based logic
- Collaborative and compartmentalized portals
- Role-based granular permissions
- Robust scalable enterprise-class architecture
- Web-GUI for intranet/extranet deployment
- DBMS deployment on Oracle and SQL Server
- COM and Database APIs for systems integration
- Logical delete and restore of terms
- User ID and date-time stamping
- Online reports using report wizards
- Bulk import and validation functions
- XML and CSV export formats
- Unicode UTF-8 support for non-western character sets
Web-based User Interface
The entire Synaptica application has a web-based user interface enabling access by location independent knowledge workers. A “portal” system allows project teams to access subsets of the vocabularies with user functional privileges controlled by 12 permissions levels from read-only through super-administrator. A suite of online report wizards allows users to create alphabetical and hierarchical reports as well as CSV and XML formatted exports.
Another of Synaptica’s strengths is the ability to customize the system in minutes. An extensive menu of administrators’ tools, all fully accessible via the web-UI, allows users to: create new vocabulary files; define the metadata elements; create new kinds of semantic relationship types; configure rules-bases to govern semantic and taxonomic house-rules; customize display formats and perform data import functions.
Synaptica provides an enterprise-class solution for authority file and controlled vocabulary management. The system uses a library of COM business objects, which can be accessed through the web-application or via an API. The system supports SQL Server and Oracle databases scalable for multiple users and millions of terms and relationships. A library of stored procedures supports native database API integration.
Onsite or Remote-Hosting
Synaptica is a client-server web application that can be installed locally on a client’s intranet or extranet server. Alternatively, Factiva can host client systems on our secure servers, which means the client needs no special equipment. In either case, systems use password-protected accounts, so users can access all of Synaptica's features from anywhere in the world using standard personal computers and web-browsers.
Synaptica is being continuously enhanced. New features recently added or under development include: visualization and global editing tools, a web-services layer, and expanded versioning options
Synaptica’s server-side requirements are:
- Windows 2000/2003 Server operating system
- Internet Information Server (IIS) web server
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000+ DBMS, -or
- Oracle 9i+ DBMS running on Windows or UNIX
The client-side requirements are any PC or Mac with Microsoft IE or Netscape 6.0 or higher.